dew drops

This is me, my views and my life.
My story is not mine, so is the plot.
But come with me and take the plunge,
Swim in the ocean of life.
Make some ripples throughout eternity
And praise Him again and again for this wonderful opportunity!

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pinoys speak a lot about their lineage

especially on how they are mixed breeds and not purely Filipino...

Haha... I was once too but heck, I never really bothered... I needed for my high school project though and one interesting happened in class...two out of my 30 classmates realized that they're cousins (long lost cousins!) ! so maybe that's one importance of tracing your lineage...=P

I copied my cousin's claim of lineage from facebook because it is somewhat applicable to me too...

pardon me for this one but I found some interesting "facts" that's why I decided to share: my comments in red


-My bloodline is 75% Filipino, 12.5% Chinese, and 12.5% Spanish (disputed).
Well... I'm somewhat close to this we only vary because of my maternal side...just a bit though and you will see why later...

-I am a Visayan Filipino. Both of my parents are from the island of Bohol, Philippines. I have TONS of living relatives, including a 94-year-old great-grandaunt who still dances and smokes tobacco. One of my dad's brothers is a politician/medical doctor, trying to make it into the Philippine Congress (But I think he can go for the Presidency.)
I'm a Visayan-Mindanao Filipino, dad from Bohol and mom from Davao del Sur (does this really matter???)...

I do remember meeting a great aunt who smokes tobacco...but dances? ooh... i should find this out!

and as for that politician cum doctor for the masses uncle, he looked a lot like my dad. the first time I saw him I thought that my dad's passing was a total lie... Of course I was only convinced momentarily because the truth is the truth and is the hard truth...

-My paternal grandfather's father (great-grandfather) is pure Chinese. He immigrated from Amoy, China, in the Fujian province (SE China), working as a cook in a Spanish restaurant, eventually becoming an entrepreneur, owning farms and construction sites.
I saw our great-grandfather's portrait... he was really something with his posture and looks and he was really tall... guess what? Im short :P. And alas, it is the truth that cooking is in our blood (can I actually claim this? he he)... this is just to justify how I love to experiment with cooking, i had highs and lows and now I am getting the hang of playing with spices ;).

-I have some family legends; my great-grandfather buried some treasure (Spanish gold) near a guava tree to hide it from the Japanese soldiers during WWII, who used his mansion as a base. The soldiers also tried to open his safe, jamming the door for good. That safe is still in the house, and no one knows what is inside of it to this day.
Only saw my grandpa's house... I better search for my great grandpa's mansion and for that guava tree too!!! =P the safe? sounds mysterious! if he buried the gold near a guava tree then what's inside the safe??? !!!

-My dad's dad (grandpa) lived in both China and the Philippines. He could speak and write in Chinese (I think it was Cantonese).
cool... I talked to grandpa when i was small...no idea he could speak some Chinese no idea of the existence of China either...all I had was my funny hard to read english writing of i love yous and my grandpa... wow... he atually lived in that place? I got to dig more of this history!

fact: My grandpa died in the US and buried there...

-My original last name is not Molina; it is Yap. My great-grandfather changed it from Yap to Molina after becoming a Philippine citizen and a Roman Catholic, taking on his sponsor's last name.
Well Im not adamant about being Chinese neither am I a fan rather I am quite the contrary at times... I so prefer the Molina surname. Sorry bout that but... I'm Italain! =P

-I have not fully confirmed my Spanish heritage, but this is what I know from both my grandmothers:

-My paternal grandfather's mother (great-grandma) is 1/2 Filipino, 1/2 Spanish. Her family was originally from Zamboanga, Philippines. She came from the Besas family, a prominent Mestizo family in Bohol.
this should account for me too... 100% Chinese + 1/2 Filipino and 1/2 Spanish => grandpa 1/2 Chinese, 1/4 Spanish and Filipino... So my dad? my grandma was a Corre...another Spanish (or at least European) sounding surname I do not know her lineage so I guess I could not deduce much... assuming that my grandma is 100% Filipino which I doubt 100% because she doesn't look like it at all, it would make my dad 1/4 Chinese(at least), 1/8 Spanish(at least),62.5% Filipino...hahahahaha

-My maternal grandmother's mother (other great-grandma) is also 1/2 Filipino, 1/2 Spanish. She died in Mindanao following the Japanese attacks on the island during WWII. My mom and grandma said she was mestiza-looking.
hmmm this does not account for me... But my grandma is 1/4 Spanish although she looks a lot like 1/2 Spanish with all the freckles and brunette hair... She was a shortie, i guess I got that from her while my other siblings and relatives got her fair complexion.... oh well... anyway i heard she also had a Chinese blood so say she is 1/4 Spanish, 1/4 Chinese, 1/2 Filipino... My grandpa is said to be highly Chinese although I do not recall their mysterious stories about his family or was it my grandma's? hmm anyway, I guess it is safe to say my grandpa is at least 1/4 Chinese and 3/4 Filipino to account for his highly Chinese side... This makes my mom 1/8 Spanish (at least), 1/4 Chinese (at least), 62.5% Filipino (utmost)

mom + dad = 25% Chinese, 12.5% Spanish, 62.5% Filipino + 1/4 Chinese, 1/8 Spanish,62.5% Filipino = 25% Chinese, 12.5% Spanish and 62.5% Filipino

lol!

no comment... eventually I find myself so pathetic... this kind of maths does not really apply to genetics right? most especially to gene expression... wish i was more like 25% Angelina Jolie, 12.5% Natalie Portman and 62.5% Ivy Molina =P !!! heee

whatever...

-The place of origin I assume: Andalucia province.

never heard of this place =/
--------------------

So yeah...there goes my precious 2 hours! wups...I enjoyed myself though

pathetic but I enjoyed it! esp. the interesting stuff about my great grandpa....

=D

so what's yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home